Wednesday, February 1, 2012

subway art sign

Last fall on my blogland adventure I came across this subway sign by Shelley at the House of Smiths I loved the look, the idea, and the personalization. I was going to make one for my own home. I don't have one of  those awesome cutting machines, but after doing some research I decided I could do my own version with a 24" x 36"canvas, black spray paint, and 8 1/2" x 11" label paper.  I typed up and formatted my letters in publisher and then printed them, testing the layout and size. this took a few tries and almost an entire ink cartridge.  (I used Arial font)subway1 Then I individually cut each letter out and stuck it on the canvas. The letters didn't adhere very well and kept peeling up so once I had a line/address done, I paper clipped them together until I could place all the letters on the sign at once.  The hubby also insisted I use his square straight edge to get a clean line, I was so tired of meticulous details that I made him draw the lines, so glad I didn't skip this step (I was inclined to) subway2 Then once all the letters were placed I flipped the sucker over and really gave it some pressure to try and make those darn letters stick. so I used the old trick of putting books and magazines on top of it :) subway3 I let it sit over night and quickly spray painted it the next day finally finished P1090263 I'm loving it. I think home decor is so much cooler when it's personal.











1 comment: